If you are a vegetarian or occasionally observe the diet, you will agree with me that it is a common challenge for the vegetarians and vegans to find delicious and healthy vegetarian food around Klang Valley. We are constantly on a food hunt to look for the best vegetarian options. While there are many restaurants that cater to a vegetarian/vegan diet, most do not offer many options and the prices are often very expensive!
Wesak Day.. Veg food?
With Wesak Day fast approaching, many will be observing a vegetarian diet on this auspicious day! Being a vegetarian, even if it is occasional, gives our body a good break from meat consumption and it is one of the most natural form of detox. Partaking good amount of vegetables for our general well-being! Well the good thing is now you do not need to travel far to find a restaurant with scrumptious and healthy vegetarian meals. Head on to TasteBud, which is just a stone throw away from the Sri Lankan Buddhist Temple in Sentul. And guess what? This place also caters for non-vegetarians.
TasteBud is a cozy and lovely Indian Restaurant, situated right along Jalan Sentul. It is indeed the talk of the town with their amazing food choices, especially their North Indian cuisine. It took us less than 15 minutes to reach TasteBud from Dutamas which was a brilliant news to our hungry growling tummies! TasteBud has its location map on its website, and it is a very strategic and central place to dine in. We drove there and had no problems at all looking for parking.
Food Oh Glorious Food!
Now, let’s get into the most anticipated part – the Food! We were attended to by a very friendly and sweet waiter, Manik within minutes after our arrival. We found ourselves completely immersed in their menu as there were so many vegetarian options! Everything spelled D.E.L.I.C.I.O.U.S and we had a tough time deciding our meals… After a thorough look, we ordered a few different types of Indian breads – Tandoor Roti and Garlic Naan to begin with. As breads are incomplete without gravies and dishes, we ordered a couple of side dishes, namely; Dhall Makhani, Veg Fish Masala, Kadai Paneer and Bhindi Do Pyaza.
The Dhall Makhani was so amazingly delicious that we could not help ourselves but wiping the whole plate clean. Dhall Makhani is a popular dish from the Punjab region of Pakistan. The primary ingredients are whole black lentil, red kidney beans, butter and cream. This is a high-protein dish and you don’t want to miss this dish while you are at TasteBud! Next item on the table was the Bhindi Do Pyaza. We have had this dish in many places around Kuala Lumpur, but we can vouch that this place makes the best version in the city! It was really succulent with generous amount of Bhindi (ladies finger) and onions in it! The Vegetarian Fish Masala, on the other hand, is in the menu to create more varieties to vegetarian foodies like us! The Kadai Paneer which was made spicy and it came with huge chunks of fresh Paneer (Cottage Cheese).
Having lined our hungry tummies with yummy bread, we decided to order a Vegetarian Biriyani. All we can say is nothing disappointed us! In fact, the Biriyani was so aromatic; the rice came in its most perfect form, each wrapped in deep spices and garnished beautifully and served with raita (yogurt dip) alongside curry! We were now full and most importantly, satisfied!
How do I order Indian Food??
It’s important to know what to order and pair with your mains to you give you a complete and pleasurable dining experience! Here are some tips to order and enjoy Indian Meals: :-
- If you are not familiar with Indian food, start with one or two types of bread if the group is small. If you are coming in a large group, then go ahead and order more types of breads and few different rice dishes like Biriyani and Pulav Rice. This will be your main course.
- Main courses are incomplete without curries, so you may want to have a combination of both dry and gravy dishes. Ask your friendly waiter to explain the menu to you.
- It is important to have combinations of spicy, sweet and tangy flavors as part of your meal! For instance Dhall Makhani is a creamy and sweet dish and Paneer Butter Masala is also creamy and sweet. So if you order both these dishes, you might feel quite nauseated after your meal! On the other hand, if you order Dhall Makhani, you may want to order something spicy like Chilli Paneer or Mushroom Pepper Masala. This way, you will have a balanced choice of side dishes!
- If you are coming in a large group, make sure you go for a starter. TasteBud has got varieties of delicious starters like soups and fritters – Bajjis and Cutlets. They are very affordable too, and each plate can feed about 2-3 pax, so you may want to order accordingly. At the end of your dinner/lunch, don’t miss their sweet treats/desserts and traditional drinks to mark your meal – complete! Tick!
- If you are bringing kids, and they are fussy eaters, you can safely order their Fried Rice or Noodles from their “TasteBud Specials Menu”.
What we love about this restaurant the most is that, they are so customer friendly. They are willing to customize your food according to your preferences. We ordered Egg Fried Rice for the kids as they don’t tolerate spice at all, and TasteBud’s chef kindly prepared us just the way we wanted. TasteBud can also cater for Jains (pure vegetarians), who doesn’t consume onions and garlic.
If you are still not convinced, then you have to try out yourselves and you’d definitely agree with us!
Address & Contact details.
ADDRESS: 834, Jalan Sentul, 51000 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
OPENING HOURS: 11:00AM – 10:30PM PHONE NUMBER: +60 13-525 9000